Fire Destroys Smithville Home

January 13, 2020
By: Dwayne Page

A fire Thursday night gutted a home at 413 Charity Lane.

The Smithville Volunteer Fire Department was called to the residence of Martha Conger where a fire had started. Conger was not there at the time but other occupants in the home got out safely. Firefighters also rescued two cats. According to Chief Charlie Parker, the fire is believed to have started from a cooking accident in the kitchen.

Firefighters were not able to save the home. After extinguishing the blaze, the department had to be called out again later in the night after the fire rekindled.