Early Morning Fire Leaves Family Homeless

February 13, 2020
By: Dwayne Page

A couple jumped out the window of their home early this morning (Thursday) after waking to find it on fire.

Craig Asberry and his wife escaped unharmed but their home at 158 Prater Road, which belonged to Delane Taylor, was destroyed in the blaze.

Central dispatch received the call at 4:51 a.m. and members of the Four Seasons, Keltonburg, and Main Stations of the DeKalb County Volunteer Fire Department responded.

According to County Fire Chief Donny Green, the Asberry’s had been sleeping but awoke to intense smoke in their bedroom and found the fire upon opening the door to the living room. In order to get out of the house, the Asberry’s had to break a bedroom window.

Chief Green said the fire apparently started from a cloth chair in the living room which was in front of a thermostat controlled electric wall heater. The heater caught the chair on fire and the blaze spread up the wall and into the attic. He said the fire was already fully involved by the time it was reported and the home could not be saved. No one was injured.