February 14, 2020
By: Dwayne Page
One day after a fire claimed a home on Prater Road, another blaze swept through a mobile home this morning (Friday) at 183 Kings Court Circle but the man living there got out safely.
According to County Fire Chief Donny Green, Jason Moore, who was renting the trailer from Melissa King, had gone to bed after doing some cooking and later awoke to a room filled with smoke. When he got up he found fire coming from the kitchen stove. Moore tried unsuccessfully to extinguish the blaze and ran next door to call for help.
Central dispatch was alerted and paged out members of the DeKalb County Volunteer Fire Department who arrived on the scene to find the home fully engulfed in flames. The trailer could not be saved but firefighters were able to keep it from spreading to another mobile home only eight feet away where a handicapped resident was living. The occupant was safely evacuated by neighbors and members of the sheriff’s department.