Employees were evacuated after a small fire at Tenneco Automotive around noon on Thursday.
According to Smithville Fire Chief Charlie Parker, two employees were reportedly treated at the scene for smoke inhalation. One of them was later transported to the hospital by DeKalb EMS.
The fire apparently started and was confined to a welding work station in the plant as sparks ignited some work material.
Chief Parker said maintenance employees of the plant used fire extinguishers to bring the fire under control. Members of the Smithville Volunteer Fire Department quickly responded to make sure the blaze did not spread.
The plant's ventilation system helped clear the smoke from the building.