The Smithville Volunteer Fire Department was called to Star Manufacturing this morning (Thursday) where a laser cutting machine caught fire.
"We had a little fire at Star Manufacturing in one of their laser cutting machines," said Chief Charlie Parker. "They evacuated the building. They had some smoke coming from the laser. Maintenance crews took it (machine) apart where we could pull it outside to get to it. There was some smoke in the building. We set up a fan and pulled some of the smoke out of the building. We cleared the building (of smoke) so they (employees) could go back to work. It was primarily in just one machine. We didn't put any water on the fire. We took the machine apart and pulled the filters to where we could get it outside. It pretty much went out on its own," said Chief Parker.