The Smithville Volunteer Fire Department and DeKalb EMS were summoned to Foutch Industries Monday where a fire started in the duct work, causing smoke to spread through a portion of the building.
"We had a fire in the duct system where it collects dust and the grinding stuff off some of the machines," said Fire Chief Charlie Parker. "One of them (duct system) had sucked up some sparks and caught the filter on fire inside the factory. It was in the machinery and the duct work that runs from the machine to the filter. They had used like twenty fire extinguishers prior to us getting there and didn't get it out so we used water and foam and had to disassemble part of the duct work to get up in there to it to finally get it put out. The building wasn't damaged. It was all confined to the machinery inside. It did smoke up one half of the building pretty substantially but we were able to clear that out after just a little while," he said.
"The building was evacuated. I think they had a couple of employees who were sent to the hospital to get checked out. I think one of them had some burns and the other may have had a little too much of the smoke," said Chief Parker.