Carbon Monoxide Threat Forces Evacuation of Apartment Building

May 1, 2013
by: 
Dwayne Page

Carbon monoxide from a natural gas water heater Tuesday night forced an evacuation of several occupants at City Walk Apartments on East Bryant Street.

The Smithville Volunteer Fire Department was called to the apartment complex to check out a possible natural gas leak in one of the buildings. After arriving, Chief Charlie Parker said firefighters entered the building to investigate and discovered the presence of carbon monoxide, using CO detectors. Chief Parker said a natural gas water heater in a maintenance closet of the building was the source of the carbon monoxide.

All occupants in the building were evacuated by firefighters and officers of the Smithville Police Department
Chief Parker said Middle Tennessee Natural Gas was notified and sent a crew to shut off the water heater. The fire department brought in fans to clear out the building of the potentially poisonous gases.

The residents of the apartment were later allowed to re-enter the building after it was re-checked for carbon monoxide and found to be safe. No one was injured.

Follow Us


facebook.jpg

News Feed
feed.png

WJLE Radio

2606 McMinnville Hwy
Smithville, TN 37166

Phone: 615 597-4265
FAX: 615 597-6025
Email: wjle@dtccom.net

Local News

6:30 A.M.
7:30 A.M.
8:55 A.M.
12:00 NOON
4:00 P.M.
9:45 P.M.

DTC Communications

Fiddlers Jamboree