One person was airlifted after a fire call on Adcock Cemetery Road late Friday night
Central dispatch received the call at 11:28 p.m.
Members of the Midway station of the DeKalb County Volunteer Fire Department quickly arrived on the scene at 511 Adcock Cemetery Road and brought the small grease fire under control. Fans were set up to clear the residence of smoke.
According to Assistant County Fire Chief Jeff Williams, Darnell Gurley was in the kitchen doing some cooking when grease in a container overheated. Gurley apparently grabbed the container and went outside with it, causing a burn to his right hand. He also reportedly slipped and fell after he got outside, hitting his head in the fall. He was treated at the scene by DeKalb EMS and then taken by ambulance to a helicopter landing zone on Midway Road, set up by the Short Mountain Highway Station of the county fire department. A small child was also reportedly in the home with Gurley at the time of the incident, but she was not injured. A neighbor came over to help take care of her.
Meanwhile, the Smithville Volunteer Fire Department was called out at 10:08 p.m. Thursday night to a garage fire at 610 West Main Street. A detached garage caught fire and was destroyed along with a vehicle inside the garage. No one was injured. The property reportedly belongs to Jamie Turner but is rented to Phil Boner.
In another incident, a child was airlifted Friday afternoon after being injured in an all terrain vehicle accident on private property at Bright Hill Road.