A fire Saturday night caused extensive damage to the home of Greta Higgins at 905 West Main Street in Kings Trailer Court, located behind the old Westgate (Piggly Wiggly) Shopping Center.
Central dispatch received the call at 7:57 p.m.
Smithville Fire Chief Charlie Parker said that Ms Higgins was cooking when a grease spill sparked the blaze which spread throughout the kitchen and into the living room. City firefighters were able to contain the fire to those areas, although it did render significant damage. Heat and smoke spread throughout the rest of the trailer.
Ms. Higgins was able to escape unharmed.