An employee of West Side Auto Salvage at 823 Dry Creek Road was taken to DeKalb Community Hospital around 9:30 a.m. this morning (Monday) after suffering burns in a fire.
Smithville Fire Chief Charlie Parker says the man was using an acetylene torch to cut parts off a wrecked car when the gas tank of the vehicle caught fire.
Flames caught the man's clothes on fire and he received some burns as a result.
He was taken by a private vehicle to the hospital and was later airlifted to another hospital for further treatment.
Meanwhile, Chief Parker says the fire, which also spread to another wrecked car and burned the tires off a skid steer loader, was quickly brought under control by the Smithville Volunteer Fire Department.
He says the fire was approximately 200 feet behind the main building and posed no threat to that structure.